CHINESE TAKEAWAY SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
Just like our local takeaway - complete with pineapple chunks!
This sauce takes a matter of minutes and goes great on a stir fry, with chicken or pork balls, over chips or served with white or fried rice. It is also very easy to adjust to your own liking, and uses very few ingredients!
- 100 ml cold water
- 80 ml fresh pineapple juice
- 50 ml cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp Haughton Honey
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Small tin of pineapple chunks (drained)
If you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15%.
1 teaspoon = 5ml
1 tablespoon = 15ml.
Some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are;
150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz.
- Add the water, vinegar, pineapple juice, ketchup and honey to a pan.
- Dissolve the cornflour in 1 tablespoon of water and add to pan.
- Continuously stirring, bring all ingredients to the boil, then turn down to simmer and add pineapple, before stirring well for another 2 minutes.
- To make a thicker sauce add more cornflour paste. If you want the sauce sweeter then add more sugar or pineapple juice (you may need to add more cornflour if adding more liquid).