SLOW COOKED LAMB BREAST WITH CARIBBEAN SPICES
Breast of lamb is a truly undervalued cut of meat and if slow cooked as in this recipe it can produce a fabulous meal.
- 900g-1.3kg lean boneless lamb breast (unrolled)
- 2 small onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers, deseeded and halved
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 10ml/2tsp ground allspice
- 1 x 20g pack of fresh thyme leaves
- 100ml/3.5floz dark soy sauce (Kikkoman)
- 50ml/2floz dark rum
- 5ml/1tsp salt
- 3 tbsp Haughton Honey
Notes for the cook
If you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15%.
1 teaspoon = 5ml
1 tablespoon = 15ml.
some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are;
150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/gas 2.
- To prepare the marinade put all of the ingredients apart from the lamb in to a food blender or processor and blend until smooth.
- Please the lamb breast on a chopping board and make several slashes on both sides with a sharp knife. Transfe to a shallow dish. Using your fingers, rub the marinade all over the lamb. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove the lamb from marinade and transfer to a roasting rack in a foil-lined roasting tin. Cover with foil and roast slowly for 1hr and 40 mins, or until the lamb is tender.
- Finish off the lamb under a preheated grill for 5 to 10 mins, turning once. Slice the lamb into strips and serve with vegetables of your choice.