ROASTED HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN
There are some ingredient pairs that only seem natural: apple and cinnamon, strawberry and banana and honey and mustard. While the last one is usually a condiment added after the chicken is cooked why not actually roast chicken with the honey and mustard instead?
The recipe is incredibly simple and uses the firmer thigh meat from the chicken, a few sprigs of rosemary and just a few additional vegetables. A little sliced almond adds a great crunch to the dish. Roasting the chicken directly in the honey and mustard creates a fantastic sauce in its own right and makes the chicken delightfully tender.
- 1/4 cup of smooth dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup of grainy, course mustard
- 1/3 cup of Haughton Honey
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2-3 lbs of chicken thighs or tenderloins
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 large red pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1/2 a large white onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- A handful of sliced almonds (optional)
- Chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley to garnish (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black or mixed pepper
If you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15%.
1 teaspoon = 5ml
1 tablespoon = 15ml.
Some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are;
150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz.
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f. In a small bowl combine both of the mustards, the Haughton Honey and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a skillet or griddle pan add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add the sliced onion and pepper and cook over a medium heat until the onion is golden and tender (about 5 minutes). Add the crushed garlic and cook for an additional 1 or 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Transfer the pepper, onion and garlic to an suitable oven-proof casserole dish and place the chicken on top. Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour the honey mustard mixture on top of the chicken and arrange the rosemary sprigs over the chicken in the pan. Tightly cover the dish with foil.
- Roast the chicken in the preheated oven for 20 minutes and then remove the foil. Baste the chicken with the sauce and juices and then add the almond slices and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes uncovered or until the chicken is cooked through. Garnish with the parsley and serve.