MAKE AN EASY PARTY PUDDING WITH THESE BAKLAVA CUPS
A recipe for the bite-sized-pudding-lover!
Traditionally Baklava is a rich, sweet pastry made of layers of filo filled with chopped nuts and sweetened and held together with syrup or honey that originated from the Ottoman empire. This recipe uses pre-made filo cups as a fun and very easy alternative.
- 1/2 cup of pistachios
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- The zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup, plus 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 30 mini filo shells (available in most good delis)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of Haughton Honey
If you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15%.
1 teaspoon = 5ml
1 tablespoon = 15ml.
Some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are;
150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Arrange the pistachios, walnuts and almonds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 8 minutes until golden and fragrant. Let the nuts cool slightly and add them to a food processor along with the lemon zest, 3 tablespoons of sugar, butter, cinnamon, salt, vanilla extract and then pulse to combine.
- Place the mini fillo shells in the wells of 2 mini cupcake pans. Add 1 teaspoon of the nut mixture into each shell. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the filling is hot.
- Meanwhile place a small saucepan over a medium heat and add the water, 1/4 cup sugar and the honey and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of syrup into each cup and allow it to soak in, then repeat with a second teaspoon of the syrup.
- Refrigerate for at least 5 hours, or overnight before serving.