WOK FRIED SPICY HONEY FISH
Spicy Honey Fish is deliciousness in no time at all! This quick and easy fish dish comes together in less than 15 minutes. Any firm, white fish like cod, halibut or sea bass works well as it can hold it's shape whilst frying. The combination of sweetness from the honey and the heat from the chilli paste creates an interesting mixture of flavours and is a firm favourite here.
Enjoy it with steamed rice or noodles or with some stir-fried greens.
- 12oz of cod fillets (or any firm white fish of your choice).
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- Groundnut oil for frying + 1 tbsp
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- For the marinade: 1/2 red chilli, deseeded and finely choppe
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce (Kikkoman)
- 1 tsp lime or lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- For the sauce: 1 tsp soy sauce (Kikkoman)
- 1/2 red chill, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 heaped tbsp Haughton Honey
- 1/2 tsp corn flour, diluted in 2 tbsp water
If you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15%.
1 teaspoon = 5ml
1 tablespoon = 15ml.
Some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are;
150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz.
- Cut the fillets of fish into 1″ pieces. In a bowl add the fish along with all the ingredients for the marinade. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large wok or skillet heat about 2½ inches of oil or enough needed to fry the fish. Once the oil is hot fry the fish pieces until they start to turn golden brown; about 3-4 minutes. Gently take the fried fish pieces out and place on kitchen towel to drain the excess oil.
- Mix the separate 1/2 tsp of corn flour with 2 tbsp of water and set aside. Blend all of the ingredients for the sauce together. In another pan or skillet heat 1 tablespoon of oil on a medium heat, add the minced garlic clove and stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Now add the sauce blend and cook for 1-2 minutes, keep stirring.
- Finally add the fried fish to the sauce, stirring gently so as the fish get well coated. Add the diluted corn flour/cornstarch, give everything a last stir, and toss in the chopped spring onions and scatter with lemon wedges.
- Serve hot and enjoy.