VERY CREEPY HALLOWEEN TOFFEE APPLES
WooooooooWooooooo! What's that?! Arrrggggghhhhhh.....
It's probably best to make sure that an adult is involved with making this recipe...but the result will be worth it. Try and find some creepy-looking twigs to eat the toffee apples with, or failing that, lolly sticks will do.
- 6 apples of your choice
- 1 cup double cream
- 1/2 cup dark sugar
- 1/2 cup Haughton Honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Chopped nuts, sesame seeds or 100’s & 1000’s (optional)
- A piece of greaseproof paper
- A sugar thermometer
- Twigs (or lolly sticks)
If you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15%.
1 teaspoon = 5ml
1 tablespoon = 15ml.
Some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are;
150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz.
- Refrigerate your apples for several hours (having very cold apples will help your caramel stick to the apples). Just before removing them prepare an ice water bath in a large bowl for the caramel.
- Heat up the cream in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat up the cream to just before it starts to boil (when the bubbles just start to form on the edge of the pan).
- Add the honey, sugar and salt and stir to dissolve. Bring to the boil stirring continuously. KEEP STIRRING and allow to boil for about 20 minutes (reaching about about 255F-260F on your sugar thermometer). You must continuously stir or your caramel will burn. Do not stop stirring at all…..or else!
- Once the temperature has reached 260F carefully put the pan into the ice water bath being very careful not to get any water into the caramel and pan. This quickly stops the caramel from cooking any longer. Leave the pan in the ice water bath and stir until it thickens slightly (about 10-15 seconds).
- Remove the apples from refrigerator. Place your creepy, gnarled twigs into the apples and dip your first apple into the caramel, turning and coating the apple as quickly as possible. Place the caramel apples onto the greaseproof paper (sprinkle them with the decorative nuts or 100’s & 1000’s at this point if you wish) and allow them to set. Work fast as the caramel can thicken up quickly. If it does, put it back onto the burner for about 10-15 seconds to thin it out a bit. Prepare the remaining apples and enjoy.
- The apples are best enjoyed straight away!