PARSNIP AND MAPLE SYRUP CAKE WITH HONEY BUTTERCREAM
Our thanks to Alison for sending in this wonderful cake recipe.
We've tried it, so we know just how good it is!
- 175g butter
- 250g demerara sugar
- 100ml maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 250g parnips, peeled and finely grated
- 50g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- For the buttercream: 250g butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar
- 5 tbsp of Haughton Honey
If you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15%.
1 teaspoon = 5ml
1 tablespoon = 15ml.
Some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are;
150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz.
- Preheat the oven to 180c (160c if fan-assisted) or Gas4.
- Grease and line TWO 20cm sandwich tins
- Melt the butter for the cake mixture, sugar and maple syrup in a pan over a gentle heat and then allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs and then stir in to the syrup mixture. Mix together all of the remaining dry ingredients and then stir in to the syrup and egg mixture until combined really well.
- Divide between the greased sandwich tins and bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Combine the butter, honey and icing sugar well to make the buttercream. When the cake is cool fill the middle and cover the top with the buttercream. Decorate with pecans and then serve.