HONEY SESAME CHICKEN – STICKY, SWEET & SAVOURY
The best ever and easiest honey sesame chicken recipe with chicken thigh, sticky sweet and savory honey sauce with sesame seeds!
- FOR THE CHICKEN: 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes or long strips
- Oil, for deep-frying
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- FRYING BATTER: 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup water, ice cold
- 1 tbsp oil
- A pinch of salt
- HONEY SESAME SAUCE: 1/3 cup Haughton Honey
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 tsp salt
Notes for the cook
If you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15%.
1 teaspoon = 5ml
1 tablespoon = 15ml.
Some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are;
150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz
- Whisk all the “Frying Batter” ingredients together until smooth. Set aside. Drop in the chicken cubes, mix well until they are well coated. Set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients of the “Honey Sesame Sauce” together and set aside.
- Heat up a frying pan or wok and add about 2-inch of oil on medium to high heat. When the oil is fully heated, gently drop in the battered chicken cubes, one by one, making sure it is spread out to prevent sticking together. Continue to fry until the color changes to golden brown. Dish out and drain on paper towels.
- Transfer 2 tablespoons of the frying oil in a wok or skillet, stir-fry the garlic until aromatic. Add in the Honey Sesame Sauce, and bring to a light simmer or until the sauce thickens. Drop in the chicken, stir-fry a few times to combine the sauce and chicken, add the sesame seeds, dish out and serve immediately with steamed white rice, or Chinese fried rice.