DAIRY-FREE HONEY TEA BREAD
Simple and delicious is the easiest way to describe this easy and sweet cake recipe sent to us by Sofia Zerbas.
Take a slice with a pot of afternoon tea whilst sat in an English fruit orchard.
It stores really well if wrapped and kept in an airtight tin.
- 225g of plain flour
- 115g of Haughton Honey
- 115g of caster sugar
- 150ml of hot water
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- Zest of 1 lemon
If you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15%.
1 teaspoon = 5ml
1 tablespoon = 15ml.
Some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are;
150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz.
- Pre-heat your oven to 160C/325F. Butter a 450g loaf tin and line it with baking paper
- Mix the flour and sugar together in a large bowl
- Melt the honey and water in a small pan. Sprinkle the bicarbonate of soda over the water mixture and stir. Pour this over the dry ingredients, add the lemon zest and mix just until incorporated
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 50–60 minutes
- Remove from the tin and brush the top of the warm bread with honey for a nice sticky finish. Cool, then serve thinly sliced (and spread with farmhouse butter if you like)